kenshi's Animation Adventures

An online diary of kenshi's foray into the animated arts.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada



I finally went and saw the movie The Devil Wears Prada starring the amazing Meryl Streep. I had listened to the audiobook a year or two ago so I was interested to see what Ms. Streep would do with the role. I had heard some comments from friends before it came out, wondering if she was perhaps too old for the part, but I knew she would be stellar. And I was right.

I don't think I have ever seen her misstep. Her performances are always so genuine, so honest, so fresh, even if the level of the filmmaking isn't up to the level of her acting. She truly is an inspiration and I can safely say she is my most favorite actor to watch.

Anyhow, I get these fashion emails every week or so from The New York Times called "New York Style" which showcases the latest and greatest - and this week there was a slideshow from London Fashion Week featuring the lovely getup you see in my drawing, designed by Giles Deacon. Piano fringe and feathered hat, says the caption.




The image just struck me, especially since in the photograph, as you can see, the face of the model is totally covered (I decided she needed a face - at least part of one). The flow of the fringe, the legs that go on forever, but mostly the shapes that were being created. A towering triangular mass of feathers atop chopsticks. And the silhouette was really amazing. I had to draw it.

I also recently watched 101 Dalmations, one of my favorites, and this image was reminiscent of some of the beginning scenes in that movie where Pongo is checking out all of the ladies and their pooches, looking for a mate for his "pet", Roger. The all walked with purpose and attitude - some fancy, some stuffy. Maybe I should add a pooch to go along with her other accessories...

So yeah, I'm trying to do more drawing. If I ever hope to be a traditional animator, I need to get a few hundred thousand more drawings under my belt. Besides, since high heels feature so prominently in my short film, it pays to pay attention to how they are worn and how the body moves (or is made to move) when wearing them.

Hope you like the sketch.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home