kenshi's Animation Adventures

An online diary of kenshi's foray into the animated arts.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Second Dialogue Test: Final Blocking & Rough Primary Pass



CLICK HERE to view animation.

There are some weight shift problems in the middle of the shot and something funny going on with the hips in the beginning section, too.

The main things I addressed were a) what to do with the legs and b) what to do with the ending.

I needed to draw more attention to the legs in the middle section, but in a subtle way, so after trying out a lot of things that just didn't work, I decided on what you see now with one foot resting on top of the other.

I also simplified my posing and changed the emotional direction of the ending, and effectually changing the tone of the entire piece. I was being too emotionally heavy before.

Of course, this is a subjective call, but I trust the person giving me feedback, so I made it a lot more light-hearted. Instead of resigning herself to her "fate", she is glad about the compliment even though she had to fish pretty hard for it.

Now, changing such a large portion of the shot so late in the game is kind of a scary prospect, but I believe you should never stop asking yourself tough questions when it comes to acting. I am here to serve the integrity of the characters I animate instead of justifying what may be easiest for me to do.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home