kenshi's Animation Adventures

An online diary of kenshi's foray into the animated arts.

Friday, September 30, 2005

First dialogue test clips

So I didn't end up submitting either of the two clips I had posted earlier from Six Feet Under. Here are my three submissions: two from Bullets Over Broadway and one from Angels in America:







I'm leaning towards the second clip of Mary-Louise Parker from Angels in America. Her character, Harper, is a very neurotic and depressed Mormon housewife, but in a very comical, truthtelling sort of way.

I like the other clips - very broad and flamboyant, but this one has the best range and emotional change - going from incredulous, hurt, and defensive denial to scared, disappointed, and betrayed confusion when she confesses she believes he's lying to her about something.

If I animate this clip, first i'll cut off the front end where she asks her husband where he goes when he walks to make it more concise (and shorter - it's a second too long as is). Then, I think in terms of body language and posing, I will have her lean in at the beginning and looking up - I see a head roll that will act as a broad cousin to the act of rolling one's eyes when she denies having "emotional problems" like she can't believe her ears, and not make eye contact with offscreen husband til she hits the "it's" of "and if i do have emotional problems it's from living with you" with a head accent on the "you". Then turn back and look away and pull back before she says "secrets and lies" because she's searching for the right words - like she's looking at the secrets and lies and upon seeing them (emotionally) before her for the first time, is able to identify and name them - all the while betraying how hurt and betrayed she is by this revelation - the disappointment she feels, through a slumped spine position - collapsed shoulders - energy drained.

So I see two poses in this that I will "work" within - two main phrases; the first half and the second half. But I'm new at this phrasing stuff, so we'll see how my thinking evolves with this.

My assignment this week is to thumbnail and block out the shot. I'll post my thumbnails as soon as I get them done...

2 Comments:

  • At Thursday, September 22, 2005 6:58:00 PM, Blogger Jeremy said…

    I would agree with Gay Dave. Although I think the other one has more potential, you were telling me you had in mind someone talking off-camera and on-camera someone reacting. I heard brenda laughing in the first. So, maybe you would be animating her??

     
  • At Saturday, October 01, 2005 6:16:00 PM, Blogger anthea said…

    hey kenshi, great clips, i cant wait to see your blocking tomorrow!! yay for bishop!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home