kenshi's Animation Adventures

An online diary of kenshi's foray into the animated arts.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Intro to Acting - First Dialogue Test Polishing



So here's my almost final, but not nearly done first dialogue test. CLICK HERE to see the animation (no more of this self-loading movie nonsense that takes forever):

I'm not super happy with it. I feel like I took some steps backwards in a lot of ways with this, but I blame most of that on not blocking in stepped mode (which treats the poses more like still, held drawings with no smooth computer-generated inbetweens). The copy paired method where i held sets of poses with about 4 frames worth of transition in between just confused me. It made the initial stages go really fast and the final stages really hard, but since that's the way I started the shot, I was encouraged by my mentor to finish it out that way and see what happens.

By the end there, I felt like I was polishing a turd. I was getting lots of "this looks great. just polish it" comments from classmates but not much advice on specific problems in my shot or how to fix them. Frustrating.

I had the hardest part nailed, which is acting choices. There are basically two kinds of acting choices as far as I'm concerned: weak and strong. One can have animation that's polished to the nines that has no life, no soul without effective, believable, convincing acting choices. The polish is more technical - easier to critique for that very reason - than acting, which is a much more emotional, intuitive process. So if polish is so easy to learn, why do I suck at it so bad? It's not that I don't have an eye for detail.

I'll give anyone a nickel that can answer that question for me.

I know, the answer is probably: practice, practice, practice. Or patience, patience, patience. One of those "p" words. I think it mainly boils down to finding a more systematic approach to the polishing process. I've been using the machine gun approach when I need to be more precise and organized - like a sniper.

You live, you learn.

Sticking to stepped mode on the next shot.

11 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, November 09, 2005 9:36:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Nice blog and animation works!! Your first dialogue is pretty good. With a bit more time polishing it, it will look awesome!

     
  • At Wednesday, November 09, 2005 10:07:00 PM, Blogger pink hippo said…

    Hi Kenshi,

    Are you using IK for hands ?

    Vinayak

     
  • At Wednesday, November 09, 2005 10:08:00 PM, Blogger pink hippo said…

    Hi Kenshi,

    Are you using IK for hands ?

    Vinayak

     
  • At Thursday, November 10, 2005 10:03:00 AM, Blogger KENSHi said…

    Hi, Vinayak. i'm using FK for the gestures that happen off of the bed and IK for the rest. the blending isn't great so i do a 1-frame handoff (off to on). the IK had problems so my initial passes were horrid. this is just getting to the passable point with the fixed IK. thanks for posting! any crits?

     
  • At Thursday, November 10, 2005 10:27:00 AM, Blogger KENSHi said…

    I appreciate the comments, Alina! where do you think the main areas that need polishing are? the mouth and face have very limited controls. I basically only have eye controls and mouth open and closed. any tips? i'm starting to read your blog. nice stuff! lots of character and fluidity in your work. Thanks again.

     
  • At Thursday, November 10, 2005 5:34:00 PM, Blogger virginiavalle.blogspot.com said…

    Hi Kenshi :)..
    Sometimes you need to write the answers on the visitor blogs :), because is more easy have replications in your case.. you need replications and blogger is very big :)....

    I think the dialogue is not too bad. I see the fluidity is a little brusque, from 124 frame to 148 fr. and he need a little controls on his eyes too, but Im not animator :(. only I tell you what i see a little strange,but doesnt look too bad.. as you know practice and practice is the answer

     
  • At Thursday, November 10, 2005 8:47:00 PM, Blogger pink hippo said…

    Hello Keshi,

    The reason I asked you for IK hand is because I felt they are sticking in the air, and snapping point to point ( and the same kind of feeling is in Rebbeca's animation). As this is your first pass I am sure it will get better as you refine it further :)

    I still appreciate the part where you acted this scene yourself first and the extent you went to get it right :) Good work Mate !!

    Vinayak

    p.s. I liked the sign "OM" that you have put on your website, any indian/hindu connection there ? :)

     
  • At Friday, November 11, 2005 2:28:00 AM, Blogger virginiavalle.blogspot.com said…

    I sent a e-mail :)

    Kenshi I speak Spanish, sorry for my English :)
    I was try to tell you, yes you should write to the
    visitor's blog your question and later you could have
    a more answer :). But I see Vinayak is here :)

    The movie is not too bad :) practice and practice :)
    Regards

     
  • At Monday, December 05, 2005 2:17:00 AM, Blogger David Alvarez Carrascal said…

    Thanks Kenshi, wow my first comment in my blog and I missed :(
    Thanks for your wellcome!

     
  • At Monday, December 05, 2005 2:17:00 AM, Blogger David Alvarez Carrascal said…

    Thanks Kenshi, wow my first comment in my blog and I missed :(
    Thanks for your wellcome!

     
  • At Thursday, September 06, 2007 7:12:00 AM, Blogger . justin segal said…

    My reaction is the emotion is NOT coming out enough in the face. If you check the "If I do have emotional problems" section the face is almost unchanging. She should feel frustration reasoning WHY it's not her fault? Shouldn't her eyebrows wrinkle or mouth purse? Then she can release out of that, as her eyes open wider, as she looks off-screen (as you have it)

    Nice work!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home