kenshi's Animation Adventures

An online diary of kenshi's foray into the animated arts.

Monday, July 10, 2006

"Sole Searching" Layout


So I came up with a title for my short film: "Sole Searching". I always like a good pun (though most I find moronic -- sorry, Dad)... I'm thinking I'll animate the titles somehow if I have time - kind of like the stylistic way the titles were done in "Monsters, Inc."

Anyhow, at the end of last term, we worked on a layout, which is the first step of production in the computer. It's where you take camera, set, simple props, and character placement, and begin to tell your story visually - working out what shots will have the most impact, where your characters are going to be, how they relate to one another, etc.

This process was a little tough in one sense, because the character models we were given to do our layouts with had no articulation set up yet, so it was truly "rough" placement. But in a way, I think that was kind of good, because the temptation to go right into blocking and not take things step by step can be too great.

That's one of the things about animation - easy to get distracted by all the hundreds of thousands of choices that have to be made. No wonder they have teams of hundreds of artists for this. Much easier to keep things moving when people have dedicated jobs. But alas, I'm an army of one and that coupled with my already ADD-like manicness makes for a lot of disarray. Thank goodness for AnimationMentor - if the assignments weren't there to keep me on task, these projects would end up like so many paintings in my garage - collecting dust.

So without further ado,here is my finished LAYOUT.

Comments, suggestions, and rude remarks are always welcome...




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home