kenshi's Animation Adventures

An online diary of kenshi's foray into the animated arts.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Lend Me a Hand...or Your Arm


Assignment: Excitement

Now, one of the assignments this week was to take Stu (this simple biped character) and capture the emotion of excitement in one pose. I really wanted to steer clear of cliche, but I also wanted a very strong line of action and really solid posing.

My first sketches (on the right) were the obvious choices, with the lower sketch being too internal to be clear and the upper sketch way too korny. So I settled on the lower left, which initially was just the one triumphant Stu. But I wanted to add drama - some motivation - some kind of story, a bit of a problem when you have such a broad emotion to convey with such a simple character.

The solution, I found, was to give Stu a reason to be excited. So, borrowing from the world of testosterone-laden macho b.s., I came up with this scenario. I'm not entirely sure what he's going to do with arm now that he has it, but he's excited about it in any case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home